Three More Teams Quailfy for 2018 IBSA World Goalball Championships
Date: September 27, 2017
With the 2017 IBSA Goalball European A Goalball Championships (Finland) and 2017 IBSA Goalball European C Goalball Championships (Moldova)in the record books, three new teams earned qualification slots for the 2018 IBSA Goalball World Championships (Sweden, 30 May – 10 June).
The European A Championships, that ended on 22 September, included 10 men’s and 10 women’s teams. The European C Championships, that ended on 10 September, included 12 men’s teams. Based on final tournament standings and qualification rules, men’s teams from Germany and Belgium earned qualification slots as well as the women’s team from Russia.
The following teams are now qualified for the 2018 IBSA World Goalball Championships:
Men’s Teams (8/16 teams qualified):
• Sweden (Host Country)
• Lithuania (Paralympics Champion)
• USA (Paralympics 2nd Place)
• Brazil (Paralympics 3rd Place)
• China (2017 Asia/Pacific Championships 1st Place )
• Germany (2017 European Championships 2nd Place-1st Qual )
• Iran (2017 Asia/Pacific Championships 2nd Place)
• Belgium (2017 European Championships 3rd Place-2nd Qual )
The Regional Champion for this process is defined as the highest available team within that Region that has not already qualified (Host Country or Paralympic Medalist).
Women’s Teams (6/12 teams qualified):
• Sweden (Host Country)
• Turkey (Paralympics Champion)
• China (Paralympics 2nd Place)
• USA (Paralympics 3rd Place)
• Japan (2017 Asia/Pacific Championships1st Place)
• Russia (2017 European Championships1st Place)
As a reminder, at the end of all regional championships, the Ratio Formula (Rule 48.2) will be used to fill final qualification slots. Here are the Ratio Formula calculations for the Europe (last 2 years):
• Men: 26 teams total / 4 teams qualified = 6,5
• Women: 16 teams total / 3 teams qualified = 5,3
The next qualification tournament will be the 2017 IBSA Goalball African Championships (Egypt, 14-24 October).
IBSA Goalball will keep you updated after each regional tournament this year so you can follow the assignment of competition slots as they occur. According to 2014-2017 IBSA Goalball Rules and Regulations, rule 48.16, 16 men’s and 12 women’s teams will earn the opportunity to come to Sweden, Malmo (30th May-10th June) and join one of the world’s biggest goalball tournaments which is also the first qualification tournament for the 2020 Paralympic Games!