IBSA Goalball WC – Currently Qualified Nations
Date: February 4, 2013
The IBSA Goalball Sports Committee would like to make it clear on which nations have already qualified for the IBSA Goalball World Championships to be held in Finland next year.
Reason for this clarification is because there is some room for confusion within the mens’ division. Under the current rules, the top three placed teams from the Paralympics automatically qualify alongside the host nation (Finland) as well as the host nation of the upcoming Paralympic Games (Brazil).
Finland (current Paralympic champions) and Brazil (current Paralympic silver medalists) however have both qualified through their placings at London 2012. This then leaves the spots for the host nation and host nation of the upcoming Paralympic Games free.
It has been determined that these two extra free slots will be filled through the ratio system. This means that instead of the remaining three slots being determined by the ratio system, there will now be five slots dedicated to the ratio system.
Below is a full list of already qualified nations in the mens’ and womens’ draws and how the remaining slots will be allocated.
Mens Division – maximum sixteen (16) teams
1. Paralympic Champion – Finland
2. Paralympic 2nd Place – Brazil
3. Paralympic 3rd Place – Turkey
4. Regional Champion – Americas
5. Regional Champion – Africa
6. Regional Champion – Asia/Pacific
7. Regional Champion – Europe
8. Regional 2nd or can be appointed by the Regional IBSA Chairman – Americas
9. Regional 2nd or can be appointed by the Regional IBSA Chairman – Africa
10. Regional 2nd or can be appointed by the Regional IBSA Chairman – Asia/Pacific
11. Regional 2nd or can be appointed by the Regional IBSA Chairman – Europe
12. Ratio formula
13. Ratio formula
14. Ratio formula
15. Ratio formula
16. Ratio formula
Womens’ Division – maximum twelve (12) teams
1. Host Country – Finland
2. Paralympic Champion – Japan
3. Paralympic 2nd Place – China
4. Paralympic 3rd Place – Sweden
5. Host of next Paralympics Games – Brazil
6. Regional Champion – Americas
7. Regional Champion – Africa
8. Regional Champion – Asia/Pacific
9. Regional Champion – Europe
10. Ratio formula
11. Ratio formula
12. Ratio formula
Regional Champion for this process is defined as the highest available team within that Region that has not already qualified.