African Teams Qualify for the 2018 IBSA World Goalball Championships
Date: November 24, 2017
With the 2017 IBSA Goalball African Goalball Championships (Egypt) in the record books, three new teams earned qualification slots for the 2018 IBSA Goalball World Championships (Sweden, 30 May – 10 June).
The African Championships, that ended on 23 October, included 5 men's’s and 3 women's’s teams. Based on final tournament standings and qualification rules, men’s teams from Algeria and Egypt earned qualification slots as well as the women’s team from Algeria.
Regarding women's teams, the IBSA Executive Committee received and considered relevant facts regarding a request to permit the women's team from Algeria to compete in the 2018 IBSA World Goalball Championships as an exception to rule 48 of the 2014-2017 IBSA Goalball Rules and Regulations. Rule 48 requires a minimum of 4 teams compete in a competition to be able to earn a slot for the 2018 IBSA World Goalball Championships. After a careful review of all facts related to the matter, the IBSA Executive Committee granted the Algeria women's team a one-time exception to Rule 48 to permit them the opportunity to compete in the 2018 IBSA World Goalball Championships. The rationale for this decision is that IBSA is continuously aiming for a worldwide representation of sports in all world championships. Also, the fact was taken into account that two teams informed organizers only a few days before the championships that they could not affort to participate in the Africa Championships and had to withdraw their registration.
The following teams are now qualified for the 2018 IBSA World Goalball Championships:
Men’s Teams (10/16 teams qualified):
• Sweden (Host Country)
• Lithuania (Paralympics Champion)
• USA (Paralympics 2nd Place)
• Brazil (Paralympics 3rd Place)
• China (2017 Asia/Pacific Championships 1st Place )
• Germany (2017 European Championships 2nd Place-1st Qual )
• Iran (2017 Asia/Pacific Championships 2nd Place)
• Belgium (2017 European Championships 3rd Place-2nd Qual )
• Algeria (2017 African Championships 1st Place)
• Egypt (2017 African Championships 2nd Place-2nd Place)
The Regional Champion for this process is defined as the highest available team within that Region that has not already qualified (Host Country or Paralympic Medalist).
Women’s Teams (7/12 teams qualified):
• Sweden (Host Country)
• Turkey (Paralympics Champion)
• China (Paralympics 2nd Place)
• USA (Paralympics 3rd Place)
• Japan (2017 Asia/Pacific Championships1st Place)
• Russia (2017 European Championships1st Place)
• Algeria (2017 African Championships1st Place)
As a reminder, at the end of all regional championships, the Ratio Formula (Rule 48.2) will be used to fill final qualification slots. Here are the Ratio Formula calculations for Africa (last 2 years):
• Men: 5 teams total / 2 teams qualified = 2.5
• Women: 3 teams total / 1 teams qualified = 3
The next qualification tournament will be the 2017 IBSA Goalball Americas Championships (Brazil, 26 November – 3 December).
IBSA Goalball will keep you updated after each regional tournament this year so you can follow the assignment of competition slots as they occur. According to 2014-2017 IBSA Goalball Rules and Regulations, rule 48.16, 16 men’s and 12 women’s teams will earn the opportunity to come to Sweden, Malmo (30th May-10th June) and join one of the world’s biggest goalball tournaments which is also the first qualification tournament for the 2020 Paralympic Games!