About the Sports – IBSA Newsletter January 2014
Date: January 6, 2014
IBSA caters for the competitive and recreational needs of its members, who participate at all levels from grassroots to elite Paralympic competition. IBSA provides many varieties of sporting activities from Goalball to Judo, Showdown to Football, and Tenpin Bowling – to mention but a few. Over the years, success in the form of medals won by blind athletes, and many other accolades duly followed.
However, winning trophies and setting new performance records are far from being the sole criteria for sporting success. Taking part, whether for relaxation, recreation or simply overcoming personal and private challenges, enables blind people to improve their quality of life in a healthy, fun and social sporting environment.
Review of 2013
2013 was a very busy year for IBSA on the sporting front, with the following events taking place:
- February – IBSA Football B2-B3 World Championships (Japan)
- May – IBSA Ninepin Bowling European Championships (Serbia)
- May – IBSA Football B1 Asian Championships (China)
- June – IBSA Football B1 European Championships (Italy)
- July – IBSA World Youth & Pan-American Games (USA)
- August – IBSA Showdown World Championships (Slovenia)
- August – IBSA Tenpin Bowling European Championships (Czech Republic)
- September – IBSA Goalball European C Championships (England)
- September – IBSA Powerlifting World & Asian Championships (China)
- September – IBSA Football B1 America Championships (Argentina)
- November – IBSA Goalball European A Championships (Turkey)
- November – IBSA Goalball Asian Championships (China)
- December – IBSA Judo European & World Youth Championships (Hungary)
- December – IBSA Goalball African Championships (Kenya)
It was particularly pleasing to witness the IBSA Goalball African Championships being held in sub-Saharan Africa for the very first time.
Sincere thanks to all of the hardworking LOCs (local organising committees), whose considerable efforts ensured the success of these events.
Upcoming Events in 2014
2014 promises to be another active year for blind sports around the world.
Of course, the highlight must be the Paralympic Winter Games in Sochi, which are taking place in March 2014. Many blind and partially-sighted athletes will be competing at this major event. Good luck to all participants; may you enjoy the experience whilst striving for excellence in your chosen sport.
Other major IBSA tournaments taking place in 2014 include:
- IBSA Goalball World Championship – Finland (June 2014)
- IBSA Torball World Cup – Austria (September 2014)
- IBSA Football B1 World Championships – Japan (November 2014)
Plans are also underway for the following competitions in 2014:
- IBSA Judo World Championships
- IBSA Judo Africa Championships
- IBSA Football African Championships
- IBSA Powerlifting World & European Championships
- IBSA Shooting European Championships
- IBSA Goalball European B Championships
- IBSA Ninepin Bowling European Championships
A full calendar (which will include comprehensive details of all events) is being prepared for release by the end of January 2014.
In the meantime, please keep abreast of all activities via the IBSA website: www.ibsasport.org.